On the 16th of November, Tesla and Elon Musk announced the new electric-powered semi truck as well as a new Tesla roadster.
There are some incredible stats that come with the new semi truck.
- Without a load attached to the back, the truck can do 0-60 in 5 seconds. With a load it’s 20 seconds. Dramatically faster than normal a normal semi truck.
- It has a range of 500 miles. (Yes, you did read that right…)
- 30 minutes of charging a Tesla truck gives a range of 400 miles.
- It has a lower grag co-efficient than a Bugatti Chiron- the fastest road car in the world.
- The truck has advanced autopilot
- Automatic emergency braking
- Automatic lane keeping
- Forward collision warning
- Per mile, a traditional diesel truck will be $0.30 per mile more expensive on a 100-mile trip when factoring in cost of the truck, maintenance, fuel, etc.
All of this is due to begin production in 2019!
As for the announcement of the new Tesla Roadster the stats are even more mind-blowing.
- 0-60 in 1.9 seconds
- 0-100 in 4.2 seconds
- Top speed is 250mph plus.
- It will have a range of 620 miles (1000km) on a single charge at highway speed
- Plenty of storage for
The Tesla Roadster will be available from 2020.
One of the biggest issues of electric vehicles was the possible range. How would electric vehicles be practical when they’re limited on how far they can travel before needing to charge? Well Tesla is addressing that. The future of transport that is needed to reduce emissions is right around the corner. It’s practical, affordable, and looks pretty good! The increase in battery capacity between the Tesla 3, with a range of 220 miles, and the roadster shows just how far battery technology has come in such a short space of time.
I’ve posted a video summary of the event below. Source: The Verge Youtube page.